Thursday 16 April 2009

Overcoming a 'Probable' Problem!

I have been invited to speak at the Hampshire, Dorset and Wiltshire Regional Meeting of the Society of Women Writers and Journalists (SWWJ) on 14th May. I will be talking about using photography to illustrate articles, hopefully showing that it is not as difficult as it might, perhaps, appear.

I have been working on a Powerpoint presentation, to illustrate some of my points. This is where it has got a bit tricky.

Yes, I do know how to use Powerpoint. What I need though is to have a projector and screen to physically show the presentation to the group and I was assured that the meeting's hostess would 'probably be able to help.' Well, with the 'probably' firmly in mind, I have been making contingency plans just in case.

I have not been using an Apple Mac computer for long. I am completely hooked now and wonder how I ever managed without it, but I am still learning all its many capabilities. I have a one to one training session most weeks with an Apple trainer and so I had a chat to him about putting my presentation onto a DVD, to play through a DVD player onto the television. This was uncharted territory to me. Could it be done? I had no clue, but Steve, the helpful chap in the Southampton Apple store, certainly did. "Of course," he said, "although I usually work with Apple software, I am sure that the Microsoft Powerpoint software can be used with iDVD."

He was right. Now I know that after I finish putting together my presentation in Powerpoint, I can load it onto a DVD in the wonderful iDVD, which came with the Mac and has useful tutorials to help if I get stuck in the future, and it can then be played on a DVD player to watch on a standard TV. Good, eh?

Now all I need to do is finish the presentation!

2 comments:

Simon Whaley said...

I have to admit, I'm pretty smitten with my new Apple iMac too. Everything just ... works! I like the idea of doing a presentation and then burning it onto a DVD to play on a TV. Now I"m wondering about turning presentations into YouTube videos! I feel a sales presentation for one of my books coming on!

Good luck with the talk.

Penny Legg said...

Hey, great idea Simon! Sounds really good. I love my Mac too. Wonder how we ever got through life with a PC? Thanks for the good luck. It will be interesting to see if it all works on the day! Watch this space...