Thursday 13 March 2008

The Best Laid Plans....

I had such plans for today.

I have three interviews to write up after downloading and transcribing my dictaphone. I have some photographs to finish sorting out to send to an editor in America and I need to make contact with some elusive people I have been asked to interview.

I had it all planned out. I would email some contacts to see if they could put me in touch with the DJ, the musicians and the teacher I am trying to reach. Then I would spend some time with my dictaphone and after that I would write the articles. Easy eh?

Well, of course, the day was not going to go to plan, was it? First the internet connection went down. Then the electricity died. I worked as long as I could before the laptop battery died and then I was left, bereft.

I tried calling to find out what the problem was but Digicel was down too. The landline was still working but the telephone/fax machine is electrically powered.... Luckily, we have a little handset in our bedroom and that was working, so I called the power company to be told that the power would be out until 2pm. Heavens, an age!

In the meantime, the temperature was spiralling without air conditioning or fans. We do not get a lot of through breeze on Sea Rocks, despite being at the top of a cliff, so a fan at least is a must.

My salvation came in the shape of a lovely lady who makes quilts and who owns an 'Artists Retreat.' We had already met earlier this week but it had not been convenient to visit the retreat on that occasion. I called her and so ended up being shown a charming residence, which personally I would not mind living in and writing the book I have been putting off for ages. Quiet and peaceful, quaint and with a view out over the island, I can well understand why so many people come to visit and end up staying for several months at a time.

By the time I got home the power was restored. Hurrah!

Now I have to catch up with all the things I should already have completed!

No comments: