Friday 12 April 2013

Penny Legg Out and About in Southampton

Yesterday I was delighted to be invited to two very different events in Southampton.

The first was to join the weekly coffee morning at Kinloss Court, Lordshill, to chat with the elderly residents there about aspects of my work.  I met some super people and the conversation was lively - moving on to cover everything from World War 2 through to the state of Britain today. Everyone had very definite views!  It was a real pleasure to meet everyone.  I have popped in and given talks there before for the Lordshill and Lordswood Historical Society, but this is the first time I have joined an informal coffee and chat session.  I look forward to the next visit and thank John Gurney for the invitation.

The second event was the launch of the latest book from my friend, author Mike Roussel.  Mike has produced a super, photo-packed account of the forgotten man behind the Spitfire,  Spitfire's Forgotten Designer - The career of Supermarine's Joe Smith   The launch, at Waterstones West Quay in the city last night, was a packed event featuring the Mayor of Southampton; members of Joe Smith's family; Solent Sky, which organisation supplied many of the photographs used in the book and former employees of Supermarine.

It was super to see Mike busy signing copies of the book as guests sipped wine and mingled. Mike has dropped into my group for writers Writing Buddies several times, so it was great to support him in a small way.

Mike Roussel, launching his latest book, with a new reader


No comments: