Wednesday 30 January 2008

Feedback, feedback.....

Dear Readers I have not been all that well recently. The last three days have been a bit of pain as I have felt distinctly dickie. Today I am feeling better and have ventured outside for some air.

Sitting on the terrace listening to the pounding of the waves on the reef, there is a hefty groundsea, I tried to catch up on some reading by flicking through an old copy of the excellent en Route, Air Canada's inflight magazine.

Arjun Basu, the magazine's editor-in-chief wrote an excellent article entitled 'The Write Stuff,' (March 2007) in which he talks about Air Canada's sponsorship of the CBC Literary Awards. In his article he says, 'Reader feedback is like blood to a writer; writing is a solitary activity, and once a piece ... goes out into the world, the writer cedes control of it to the audience - a feeling that is even lonelier than the act of writing itself. Feedback helps keep the writer's craft - and the writer - alive.'

How right he is!

I often wonder, as I write my column for The Anguillian or write up an article for the Chamber of Commerce, what people really think of my work. Sometimes I have the odd person come up to me in the street and tell me they look forward to the Thoughts of an Expat column I write but that is about all the feedback I receive. It would be nice, and extremely moral boosting, to have a few more comments forthcoming on this blog for example. I am never really sure if there is anyone out there in reader land or not!

To begin a dialogue with readers would be a good thing to launch for 2008. It will inspire me to write more often and, hopefully, to write well, and will become an interactive, living thing.

So, I ask this of you, my loyal readers, if you like my work, tell me what you like about it and pass my blog address on to friends. If you dislike it, tell me why you dislike it and perhaps give me pointers on how to write something you will like. Just remember, I cannot please everyone all of the time!

In the meantime, I have run out of steam. I am covering the Chamber of Commerce AGM tomorrow for ACOCI Connection so am off to have a rest. Happy reading folks and I look forward to reading the feedback!

Oh, and if you are not sure about how to leave a comment, just click the word 'comment' at the bottom of each blog and follow the directions!

No comments: