Thursday 19 May 2011

Penny Legg at Lordshill and Lordswood History Society

A few months ago, my publisher forwarded to me a letter sent by the secretary of the about-to-be-launched Lordshill History Society.  The sender had seen my book Southampton Then and Now and wanted to know if he could use some of the information inside it for some of the talks at the society.

I contacted John Gurney, the secretary, and we have since become good friends.  On Monday 13th April, I was the guest speaker at the second meeting of the society.  A goodly sprinkle of local people turned up, which was gratifying, and I talked about some of the things I had come across in my writing about Hampshire.  John had produced some super colour acetates, which he projected on a screen for me.

I had a good time at the Lordshill History Society.  This is a growing group and they have now launched a blog site, which is full of  a growing number of interesting blogs posts, in particular the list of forthcoming talks and outings.  Have a look at the new site and consider following it.  I think it will be one to whet the appetite for history in this part of the world.

I will be speaking there again in October.

My thanks to John and the Lordshill History Society for making me feel so welcome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great to see you are in so much demand and having hard earnt success.

Lords Hill and Lords Wood Historical Society said...

Our sincere thanks to Penny for her help and encouragement in getting the Lordshill Historical society off the ground, and for being with us again at our 13 June meeting at our new HQ - which we look like fast outgrowing, but do have 'Plan B' in mind, which is simply to switch to a bigger room at Manston Court.

Penny is a highly valued member of LHS, and her talk in October is eagerly looked forward to.

Good luck with the new project Penny, I know I am not alone in the opinion the National Sericeman's story is one well worth telling.

Regards,

John Gurney